This is one of our favourite recipes. Swap the chicken breast for 200g of paneer (our favourite) or halloumi to make this delicious recipe vegetarian friendly.
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 large chicken breast fillet
2 tbsp rice vinegar (or mirin)
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tin coconut milk (400ml)
1tbsp curry powder
26g (2tbsp) peanut butter
1 spring onion
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
120g of jasmine rice
Wooden skewers (or metal if you have enough)
- Soak wooden skewers in cold water to prevent burning. Lay chicken breast flat and slice into 4 strips (or bitesize pieces).
- Combine curry powder and 2 tbsp coconut milk, pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl. Add chicken strips/pieces, mix well and set aside
- Add peanut butter, chilli flakes, soy sauce and remaining half of the coconut milk, 1 tsp sugar to a pot on medium heat. Cook for about 15-20 mins until reduced to a consistency of thick custard, stirring occasionally – this is your satay sauce.
- Rinse the rice under cold water tap, add to pot and add in the remaining 200ml of coconut milk and top up with another 50ml of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer a medium heat for about 20mins or until cooked. It should be a bit sticky and gluey!
- Halve the cucumber lengthways and scrape out and discard the seeds using a teaspoon. Slice the cucumber halves finely and add to a bowl. Trim the spring onion finely too and add to the cucumber. Add in pinch of salt and the rice vinegar and stir. This is your pickled cucumber.
- Thread chicken onto the skewers and cook on grill or pan for 4mins each side or until cooked.
- Serve chicken skewers on the coconut rice with pickled cucumber and satay sauce on the side. Enjoy!